Falldown Family Father Feeling Fairly Foolish

I enjoy live theatre!  Broadway musicals are my favorite.  There, I've said it and I'm not nearly as embarrassed by that public pronouncement as I might have been say..... a dozen years ago.  Yesterday was shaping up to be quite an enjoyable day.  My wife and I had tickets to see the National Tour of the hit Broadway show "Motown" at the State Theatre in Cleveland's Playhouse Square.


 As we are circling the block to find parking we pass the Hanna Theatre and see "Les Miserables" on their marquee.  OMG, this day just got even better.  Les Mis just happens to be our absolute favorite musical of all time.




Could we actually do a double feature? We will get home later than expected but the dog has plenty of food and water.  The worst that could happen is we may have to clean up an "accident" left as a message not to neglect her for so long in the future.  OK, if we can get tickets, we're doing it!
I ask the young man at the ticket counter if he has tickets available for this evening's performance.  "Why yes, we have several sections with two seats open" he says as he slides the seating chart more directly under my nose.  "Here is a nice box with all 4 seats open.  Chances are you will have the box to yourselves."
A bit more expensive than I had anticipated so I whisper "Do you accept American Express?"  "Yes, of course" he said with a bit more condescension than I would expect from a lad of his age.
Life is Good!  Can't wait to update my Facebook status.
We thoroughly enjoy the performance of Motown.  The talent was great, the set design was cutting edge and the book told the story of a brilliant businessman succeeding during the civil rights era with a poignancy I certainly don't recall feeling while actually living through this period.
First half of this double-header complete and even more enjoyable than expected.  Now for a leisurely dinner at the new German Beerhall around the corner and onto the next leg of this adventure.


As we settle into our seats at the Hanna I have to tweet a pic to brag about what great seats they are.

 The theatre has recently been remodeled to make it a bit more intimate and there doesn't seem to be a bad seat in the house.  Reading the Playbill I see that this is a repertory theatre and the same cast is performing Shakespeare's "The Merry Wives of Windsor".  As I point this out to my wife I comment that this means the sets will not be as elaborate as we are used to but she reminds me that we could just close our eyes and still be transformed by the wonderful music.


The artistic director comes to the stage for his obligatory admonition to the millennials to quiet their electronic devices and to welcome us all to this evening's performance of "The Merry Wives of Windsor".....Wait.....What?  He's just joking right?  How could I have made such a dumb mistake.  I'm a high school graduate with "some college" I mean, what about the marquee?
As my wife pulls her ticket from her purse she shows it to me with that look of profound disappointment yet familiar acceptance that this is the guy she married and queries "Did you even look at the tickets?"


We enjoy a good laugh and settle back to mostly enjoy a show we didn't even know we were going to see.  It was good but it was Shakespeare.  I mean, does anyone outside of an English major actually completely get William's prose?
All in all it was another enjoyable Fall Down Family experience.


Oh, and there was poop on the living room carpet.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Boomer Memory Test

I Got a Bun In the Oven!